Alex Styles runs a vibrant, dynamic photography agency and studio in the UK. Here’s some insight into how he does it:
1. When did you realise you wanted to start your own business?
I guess I’ve always wanted to run my own business from when I was around 12years old. My first business was hiring out computer games to friends at school “StyleGame” since then I’ve never looked back.
2. How did you get started and what was the biggest hurdle you overcame?
I think business has been in my blood for many years and it just sort of takes off step by step. I officially launched Alex Styles Photography in 2008 after graduating from Wolverhampton University. The main challenge was to make sure the rent was safe so I could expand the business, 6 years later I’m still here.
3. What’s been your most successful way of getting clients?
This is such a difficult question because the true answer is you never really know. I would say the strongest and most positive feedback is usually through word of mouth and recommendations.
4. How do you get clients to stay with you and use you for more work?
It comes down to every little detail from cost, service, experience, quality and like-ability.
5. Do you ever have issues with clients paying late? How do you manage that?
It depends on the client… we don’t usually supply the images until the balance is paid so it’s usually pretty instant.
6. What does your typical work day look like?
Everyday is so different… one day I could be photographing someone really cool like Derren Brown the nest day I could be making 100 calls trying to book clients in…. it’s so varied I do everything from finding clients to creating the finished image.
7. Any piece of advice/wisdom that you’d like to give the readers at Business Unleashed?
Just keep on ploughing… business doesn’t happen over night… it takes a lot of time to get you where you want to be and even when you think you’re there… you want something more.
You can check out Alex’s portfolio at: www.alexstyles.co.uk/gallery